Kitchen Garden

Vegetarian recipes that whenever possible feature vegetables that I've grown in my garden.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Getting Ready for Spring


I’m so very tired of winter. I am getting ready for spring planting. My first batch of seeds have arrived, and I’m ready to start my seeds.

I have four Park's Original Bio Dome with 18 Whopper Cells to start seeds in. I first used these last year and had wonderful luck with my seedlings.

My first batch of seeds is from Gurney’s. Here’s what I have planned for my garden so far:
Flowers:
Terracotta sunflower
Inca Marigold – Yellow
Inca Marigold – Gold
Inca Marigold - Orange
Mixed Daisies
Anniversary Zinnia
California Giant Zinnia Mix

Cut and Come Again Zinnia Mix
Royal Flush Sunflower Mix
Lemon Queen Sunflower Mix


Vegetables:
Lucullus Swiss chard
Clemson Seedless Okra

Romaine Lettuce seed Tape
Lettuce Blend Seed Tape
Mild Mesclun Mix
Gourmet Greens Mixture


Perfected Detroit Beet Seed Tape
Chioggia Beet
Ruby Queen Beet Seed Tape

Tenderrette Bush Bean

Burpless Hybrid Cucumber
Sweeter Yet Hybrid Cucumber

French Breakfast Radish Seed Tape – I think this is my very favorite radish.
Radish mixture seed tape – You can never have too many radishes.
German Giant Radish Seed Tape

Sweet Bell Pepper Mix – lots of different colors and shapes of peppers
Sweet Lilac Pepper
Super Cayenne III Hot Pepper

Portofino Summer Squash


Bonbon Winter Squash
Scallop Summer Squash Mixture – Love my pattypan squash!
Orange Magic Winter Squash

I still must get some seeds for Marina di Chioggia Winter Squash, Salsify, and Long Island Cheese Pumpkins. I also need some Four O’Clock seeds for my side flower garden. I’m also hoping that my Four O’Clocks from last year will reseed so I’ll have a big variety of colors.

I haven’t decided whether to get onion sets or onion plants. I need to get that order done soon. I had an ok onion and leek crop last year, but I need to increase the sand to potting soil ratio in the Earth Boxes I use for root crops.

One interesting thing I noticed was that many of my seed packets were marked as a product of the Netherlands, Vietnam, Germany, Canada and China. I wonder when we began importing garden seeds. In 1996 we took a month long trip to the Pacific Northwest and Canada. I remember so well the miles and miles of seed farms we passed in eastern Washington. Each crop had a big sign so the Interstate traveler would know what seed was being grown on each farm.

Here’s a recipe for that Swiss chard. It will be a long time before there’s any in my garden, but with luck we’ll be getting some good chard in the supermarket by the end of February.

Swiss Chard Gratin

1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons butter
2 bunches Swiss chard, chopped
2 cups heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
2/3 cup bread crumbs


1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and cook until wilted, 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and squeeze out any excess liquid. Reserve the skillet.


2. Add the cream and nutmeg to the skillet and boil until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
3. Stir the chard mixture into the cream. Add 1/2 cup parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into a greased 3-quart baking dish.
4. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup parmesan and the bread crumbs; sprinkle over the gratin. Bake until golden and bubbling around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.