Kitchen Garden

Vegetarian recipes that whenever possible feature vegetables that I've grown in my garden.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The First Salsify

Sunday I harvested the first bunch of salsify. They were hard to pull out of the earth boxes. Next year I plan to mix some sand in with the potting mixture. I scrapped them like a carrot and parboiled them in acidulated water. I had to use lime juice because I was out of lemons. I refrigerated them overnight, and yesterday Judi made a white sauce with Parmesan cheese and baked the salisify in the sauce. There was just enough for the three of us last night. It was wonderful. We should have enough for five or six more weeks.

Vegetables that take a very long time to grow are worth the wait. Next year I plan to grow some leeks. They take even longer than salsify to grow, and they definitely need some sand mixed into the soil.