Kitchen Garden

Vegetarian recipes that whenever possible feature vegetables that I've grown in my garden.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Some Easy Casseroles

We had a family cookout this evening. I made two casseroles to accompany their hamburgers and my Garden Burger. My daughter told me I had never given her these recipes and asked me to put them on the blog. So here they are.

Hash Brown Potato Casserole - Not a lowfat item

1 (2 lb.) bag frozen hash browns
1 can cream of mushroom soup (if you eat meat you can use Cream of Chicken soup)
1 tbsp. chopped onion
2 tbsp. red bell pepper
2 tbsp. green bell pepper
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
1 stick butter, melted
salt and pepper to taste
Combine potatoes, soup, onion, bell peppers, sour cream and melted butter. Place in greased casserole. Bake in 325 degree oven for 2 hours. may be prepared the night before and refrigerated.

Texas Bean Bake - Vegetarian Version

2 lb. can vegetarian baked beans in tomato sauce
15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
box frozen Fordhook lima beans, cooked
3 onions, chopped
2 cloves chopped garlic
cup brown sugar
cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
tablespoon dry mustard
teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablesppons olive oil
Dash Tabasco

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add other ingredients. Mix and bake in casserole at 325 degrees for 2 hours. You can also cook them for hours and hours in the crockpot. This makes about 16 servings. Sometimes if I need 30 or more servings I'll double the recipe and use six kinds of beans. Black beans, Great Northerns, and blackeyed peas work well. Meat eaters can add a half pound of crumbled cooked bacon, using the bacon fat to saute the onions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home