Kitchen Garden

Vegetarian recipes that whenever possible feature vegetables that I've grown in my garden.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Rice Salad

Except for church on Sunday, I spent my entire holiday weekend in my garden. It is looking great. My first crop of mesclun is ready for harvest. I also thinned my beets and combined the beet greens with the mesclun. We had a nice salad of it today. Our family Memorial Day cook-out was fun. I made this great salad. It's like a wild rice salad I had at the Trellis Restaurant in Williamsburg last summer. I have made it with wild rice, and it's wonderful, but very expensive. Today I used a mixture of brown rice and black Japonica rice from Lundberg Farms. It worked very well. Here's the recipe:

Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Rice Salad

Ingredients:
1 cup wild rice, brown rice or rice blend, cooked according to directions. Read the box, each kind of rice has a different cooking time,
1 cup black beans, soaked overnight and cooked - or a 16 ounce can black beans
1 cup roasted corn kernels
1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 cup lightly toasted pecan halves
1 medium red onion chopped

Dressing made of:
1/3 cup olive oil
3 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt or more as desired
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I get mine from Hatch, New Mexico. You can't find better.)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Combine salad ingredients in large bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Mix well. Chill for a few hours. Serve on a bed of mixed spring greens.

Where do you get one cup of roasted corn kernels? When my husband grills corn on the cob I make him grill extra, cut it off the cob and freeze it for use in salads and soups. I never thought I liked corn until I learned that a small amount of grilled corn is a wonderful addition to many recipes. The corn we tend to get here in Fredericksburg is silver queen. It's a very sweet white corn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home