Kitchen Garden

Vegetarian recipes that whenever possible feature vegetables that I've grown in my garden.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Worth a Journey through the Snow

Yesterday my husband and I did a foolish thing. We drove to and from Williamsburg in a big snowstorm just to have dinner with his sister and her friend at the Trellis, our favorite restaurant. The drive home was frightening, but both the company and the food were worth the perilous journey. I had the vegetarian selection a risotto with fresh corn. The dish was sprinkled with pine nuts and shaved Parmesan cheese. The dish was accompanied by grilled shitake mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, tiny grilled patty pan squash and green beans. It was fabulous. My husband and I shared a salad composed of romaine, pear slices, cheddar cheese strips, and walnuts with a  raspberry vinaigrette.

Of course, we all had shared portions of their signature dessert “Death by Chocolate”. You can find the recipe for the dessert in the Trellis Cookbook, but it’s easier and probably cheaper just to go to Williamsburg and let them make it for you. Marcel Desaulniers was the owner chef of this restaurant for many years, but their webpage lists Michael Holdsworth as chef. He seems to be following Chef Desaulniers’ philosophy of food preparation. It was a dinner to remember.
You can buy their cookies online at http://dessertstodiefor.com/.